Monday, November 17, 2008

I thought that when I became a "leader" in the youth group that I would cease to learn, and simply "do" the teaching. I thought that I would continue to dislike the leadership and disagree with the way things were being accomplished. I assumed that I would grow out of a lot of old habbits and form entirely new ones. I do not know how far off my assumptions currently are.
Metamorphosis 2008 was quite an experience for me. Teaching freshman girls is a challenge for any person, no matter who they might be. More than anything, I learned (yes, I did learn) that my generation is in a sad state of mind when it comes to the Gospel. Why were the girls that Tray, Syd and I were teaching non- responsive? I wish someone would explain to me why they would stare blankly at our faces when the three of us overwhelmingly and passionately shared about Jesus Christ who died and rose again on our behalf!? Why?
Maybe this is something I am to discover on my own. Maybe God is simply going to continue to refine me; break me down and bring me up, that I may better know that all I need is to seek Him daily. These girls have broken my hearts, and I simply do not know what to do about it.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I found you. :)
You should definitely blog. facebook is not an adequate platform for your voice, and I need to hear it more often! I love what you have written here - you are getting a glimpse of what it feels like to get older and wiser, and to want to bang your head against something when working with youth. But keep at it - those girls need to see your enthusiasm. Some of them get it, even if their faces don't show it.

You are awesome, by the way!